The Environmental conditions on Mars are different from those of Earth. Human beings can not live there without technical systems. Unless successful terraforming can be performed, Martian settlers are bound to artificial habitats.
The temperatures on the Martian surface is much lower than on Earth.
- Average atmosphere temperature: -63 °C
- Diurnal temperature range: -89 °C to -31 °C (Viking 1 Lander site)
- Minimum: −125 °C near the poles in winter
- Maximum: 20 °C near the equator
The Martian atmosphere is much thinner than the terrestrial atmosphere.
Wind speed (Viking Lander sites)
- Is there a potential threat from dust devils?