Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 479 articles | 351 uploads | 107 registered contributors | 7 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- Piece of Mars is Going Home (Feb 13)
- Evonik and Siemens to generate high-value specialty chemicals from carbon dioxide and eco-electricity (Jan 30)
- Students Discover How To Grow Hops On Mars (Jan 16)
- American Girl’s 2018 Girl of the Year wants to be an astronaut when she grows up, and same (Jan 04)
- Inside SpaceX: What It’s Like Working for a Company on a Mission to Mars (Dec 26)
- NASA creates amazing ‘chain mail’ wheel for future Mars rovers (Dec 19)
- NASA’s Opportunity Rover Withstands Another Harsh Winter On Mars (Dec 13)
- Trump to send astronauts back to the moon — and eventually Mars (Dec 11)
- Boeing’s Dennis Muilenburg says he’ll beat SpaceX to Mars; Elon Musk says ‘Do it’ (Dec 08)
- Worms born in Martian soil suggest farming on Mars is possible (Nov 29)
- 20 Images From Mars That Will Forever Change How You See The Red Planet (Nov 20)
- Robert Zubrin: Demonstration of Reverse Water-Gas Shift System (Nov 18)
- Life Can Survive on Mars Far, Far Longer Than We Thought (Nov 14)
- Humans traveling to Mars may soon be possible but survival is a complete unknown, expert says (Nov 14)
- NASA Believes It Knows How To Make Mars Green Again (Nov 11)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.