Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 563 articles | 926 uploads | 140 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- Fabric from University of North Dakota developed spacesuit to spend year in space (Apr 19)
- Things Are Stacking up for NASA’s Mars 2020 Spacecraft (Apr 19)
- Independent report concludes 2033 NASA human Mars mission is not feasible (Apr 18)
- A futuristic simulation of a Chinese Mars mission has opened in the Gobi Desert (Apr 17)
- This technology would place humans traveling to Mars in a ‘sleep-like state’ (Apr 13)
- The first study of a twin in space looks like good news for a trip to Mars (Apr 11)
- Largest dust storm on Mars ever recorded may reveal why it’s so dry (Apr 10)
- NASA Selects Two New Space Tech Research Institutes for Smart Habitats (Apr 09)
- Curiosity Captured Two Solar Eclipses on Mars (Apr 05)
- CERN engineer prepares for simulated Mars mission (Apr 04)
- After the Moon in 2024, NASA wants to reach Mars by 2033 (Apr 03)
- Latest Updates from NASA on 3D-Printed Habitat Competition (Apr 02)
- Mars Express matches methane spike measured by Curiosity (Apr 01)
- NASA’s Mars Helicopter Completes Flight Tests (Mar 29)
- Rivers raged on Mars late into its history (Mar 27)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Mar 5, 2019 - The New Category Hierarchy and our custom Category Selection Tool (part of the MediaWiki Visual Editor) have now been rolled out to Marspedia.
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.