Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 510 articles | 850 uploads | 135 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- NASA discovers fresh ‘blast pattern’ on Mars (Jan 24)
- Elon Musk: Why I’m Building the Starship out of Stainless Steel (Jan 22)
- UAE announces launch date of Mars probe (Jan 21)
- Musk vs. Bezos: The Battle of the Space Billionaires Heats Up (Jan 18)
- Op/Ed: The Anthropocene Is Coming to Mars (Jan 18)
- Scientists Discover Clean Water Ice Just Below Mars’ Surface (Jan 16)
- Microbes Might Be Key to a Mars Mission (Jan 15)
- China aims for 2020 Mars mission after lunar success (Jan 14)
- Meet The Leader Of “The Mars Generation” (Jan 11)
- 140 Million Miles From Home (Jan 10)
- SpaceX’s ‘Starship’ Hopper Prototype Could Make 1st Test Flight in Weeks, Elon Musk Says (Jan 08)
- White wine on the Red Planet? Scientists in Georgia are hunting for a perfect Martian grape. (Jan 07)
- Egypt on Mars (Jan 04)
- I’m Moving to Mars (Jan 03)
- Meet the people who plan to move to Mars in 2032 (Jan 02)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.