From Marspedia
Revision as of 14:29, 6 May 2019 by Jburk (talk | contribs) (Previous Meetings / Minutes)
Jump to: navigation, search

Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee Meetings & Info

The Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee is chartered by the Marspedia Governing Council to improve and maintain the wiki though a group of volunteer content editors and authors.

Current Activities

Weekly Meeting Schedule & Join link

We meet weekly using the Teleconference service.

Join the Meeting

Meeting Schedule Every Monday at 3PM PST / 4PM MST / 5PM CST / 6PM EST

Dial by your location

       +1 669 900 6833 US (Los Angeles)
       +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
       Meeting ID: 149 245 682

Find your local or international number

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system. Weekly: Calendar iCal file

Previous Meetings / Minutes

Monday 5/6/2019

Monday 1/7/2019

James went over Needed Articles list. This is being built out and will be done soon. The first two articles on the list are the most urgent ones, so anybody can take them on.

We talked about Student Internship Program, and need for tutorials on Templates and Interwiki links.

Monday 10/8/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

Monday 10/1/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

Monday 9/24/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

Monday 8/6/2018

Frank Crossman, Bruce Mackenzie and James Burk met and discussed the plans for an Areology section in detail. The previous night, this topic came up at the annual Moon Society meeting, and it was clear that some technical decisions needed to be thought through. James Burk is working on an implementation specification which will detail our teams' current thinking on this topic.

Monday 6/25/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

James announced partnerships with Lunarpedia and Spacepedia, and we planned out the implementation of the Recategorization Project.

Action Items

  • James to update categories on all articles, per the spreadsheet.
  • James to try using the bulk import tool to create Mars Society Convention pages and MDRS Crew pages.
  • Josh Baldwin to continue working on Category Picker
  • Bruce to send list of Marspedia items on his Mars Foundation planning spreadsheet.
  • James to set up a project task board for Marspedia.

We met weekly throughout May & June to work on the Recategorization project

Monday 5/7/2018

We approved the Proposed List of Categories and agreed to begin work on updating all articles with these categories. We discussed creating a spreadsheet to ease this task, based on the one Frank had started. We also discussed rewards systems and Gameification of Marspedia but did not come to any consensus (further research needed). Shaun agreed to work on a Category Picker for the VisualEditor.

We agreed that we should wait to do any large announcements, contests, or internship programs until the existing content is re-categorized.

Action Items

  • Frank to update the spreadsheet and hand to James to create a Google Doc (done).
  • Everybody to review and complete the spreadsheet, putting in the final categories we want for the existing articles.
  • James to fork VisualEditor to github so he & Shaun can collaborate on "Category Picker" (done).
  • Shaun to work on "Category Picker".

Monday 4/30/2018

James was not able to join. The team discussed the Proposed List of Categories and "Category Picker" design.

Monday 4/23/2018

Action Items

  • Frank to update the Proposed List of Categories based on today's meeting with our near-final list.
  • Next meeting: review the list of Needed Articles.
  • Technical Subcommittee to continue to work on "Category Picker" to limit the use of categories on articles to the final list we come up with.

Monday 4/16/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • Frank to continue to refine his Proposed List of Categories based on today's meeting, due by next Monday.
  • Technical Subcommittee to continue to work on "Category Picker" to limit the use of categories on articles to the final list we come up with.

Monday 4/9/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • Frank to refine his Proposed List of Categories based on today's meeting, due by next Monday.
  • James to include Shaun on Technical Subcommittee.
  • Technical Subcommitee to research how best to create a "Category Picker" to limit the use of categories on articles to the final list we come up with.

Monday 4/2/2018

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • Everybody to review Proposed List of Categories so we can approve & start using this.
  • Everybody to check the recent submissions and review for quality.
  • Everybody to think about what other content we need in the near-team, so that work can be assigned out. We can add to the list of Needed Articles and Marspedia:Topic List.
  • James to work on PR announcements and begin work in Mars Atlas.
  • [Done] James to fix bug that is affecting the wiki rendering on Chrome & IE.

Friday 11/17/2017

We had a quick meeting on this day and no minutes were taken as attendance was low. We remarked that having a business meeting on Friday late-afternoon/evening is probably a bad time for most.

We talked about continuing to add to the Needed Articles using the Marspedia:Topic List and also improving the Teachers Start Here page.

Wednesday 11/8/2017

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • James & Susan: contact designers for a new logo.
  • James: Post Nicole's articles to wiki but do not link up with home page / teacher's page.
  • Nicole: Edit articles.
  • Bruce: dig up & send whitepapers with Mars settlement concepts.
  • Everybody: Continue to add to Needed Articles page.

Thursday 11/2/2017

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • James: Follow up with Nicole on writing versions of her articles for K-12 and the Teacher's Page.
  • Everybody: Review the Topic List and add needed articles to the Needed Articles page, based on what is in the Topic List.
  • Bruce: dig up & send whitepapers with Mars settlement concepts.
  • Bruce & Kerri: work together on transforming existing Powerpoints into content that can be used.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: Revise the Wikipedia Import article so we can start doing this process to build out the content.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: Create tag templates for different audiences (?) or come up with a way to tag content clearly for which audience it's for.

Thursday 10/26/2017

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • James Burk to meet with Nicole (& record call) to get her approval for Marspedia to publish her content with a specific content license, including attribution preservation.
  • Add a disclaimer section that our choice of licensing for content doesn't apply to the other wikis.
  • Add more needed articles to Needed Articles page and prioritize it.
  • Create a list of topics that we want to cover on Marspedia, and use that to add more to Needed Articles.
  • Create a teacher landing page with links to key articles and a call to action for teachers to write for us.
  • Set up an editorial calendar, and allow volunteer editors to sign up for shifts - James Burk to set up & manage this.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: clean up tag templates so that there is a clear set that can be used for tagging articles as needing various things.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: update the Mediawiki skin used from current Monobook to newer Vector (or a custom version of Vector). This is a prerequisite for updating the home page.


We have set up a Slack (which is a chat tool similar to IRC or instant messaging) to coordinate the activities of the Editorial Subcommittee.

Here is the invite to Join our Slack.

Email List

We can be reached using the email list You can join the list by visiting this link.

Our Marching Orders from the Council (Oct 2017)

We need to determine what content is needed on the wiki, the process for assigning out & approving new content, and how the editorial committee can keep momentum, either through regular weekly working sessions or some of type of Slack-like tool.  It would be great to redesign the home page as well to add some graphics and make it easy for new volunteers to plug in quickly.

Update: As of January 2019, we have accomplished all of this and have established weekly meetings to maintain progress.