This page has been protected to avoid anonymous attacks.
Main Page development
I have made an attempt to upgrade the front page to improve design, ease of use and accessability to the wiki. I have tried to focus on accessibility for new users as we need to increase online interest in our efforts.
Some recent updates:
- Inclusion of a "Featured articles" on the front page (see user:Ioneill for development details).
- Creating Marspedia:About page to move bulk text from main page.
- Creating "Marspedia News" section on front page - for development purposes (i.e. new site developments/announcements), not to advertise new content.
- Copyright notice, should it be moved to a less-prominent position?
For now, over to you! -- Ioneill 04:19, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
- I like the new appearance. It is better than ever! -- Rfc 07:43, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
- It looks wonderful; I can't wait to steal it for Lunarpedia. 8) The copyright rules notice is too large and unwieldy, and as you may have noticed, in over a year I've not figured out a more compact solution that imparts the required information. Maybe a terse summary with a link to a more detailed version? How much can we pare down the summary if so? --Strangelv 08:30, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hi James, I have seen several occurrences of "8)" in your talk. What does it mean? -- Rfc 09:10, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
- It's an emoticon, akin to :-). I wear glasses, thus the eight instead of the colon... --Strangelv 11:28, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
- Cool, glad to get people's opinion on it. Kinda melded the Wikipedia format with our own - hopefully we'll be a unique set of wikis in time. I've been looking at the copyright notice, and I think we can work with what we have for now. We must keep in mind, we are in the development phase of this project, so there are going to be a lot of rough edges. As we will (hopefully) have a continuous, and increasing influx of articles, newcomers will need to read the GFDL terms and conditions first. Also, having the copyright notice there is in keeping with Lunarpedia etc., so it's a good visual aid to see we are all in the same "club"!
- James, feel free to copy any of the design aspects and stick them into Lunarpedia, will be nice to see a cool blue and grey version 8) I think the divs and tables are up to par. Seems to be formatted correctly in Firefox and IE, so there shouldn't be too many issues with other operating systems. I've noticed a slight loss in border on the right side of the copyright notice when using FF, will get that fixed.
- -- Ioneill 20:45, 23 November 2007 (UTC)