Greenhab Report 2017-11-08
Sol 5 – 08/11/2017
Ambient (no heating or/cooling): none
Ambient with window/door open: door opened at 10:53; closed at 16: 20
Shade cloth on/off: off
Average temperature:<tbody> </tbody>
|Temperature inside (°C)||33||34||34||12|
|Temperature outside (°C)||5||-||-||5|
- Time when seeds of a former experiment where watered. (There are tomatoes, melons, peppers, cucumbers, and beans)
Changes to crops: None
Daily water usage for crops: 2 ½ galons
Changes to research plants: none
Daily watering and amount of water used: 864 mL approximately
Sol 5 was a pretty lazy day at the Green Hab (GH). Yesterday I worked till 22:00 at the GH and then I was looking for some guides to build a homemade Drip Irrigation System, so I woke up pretty late, plus we had the training for the Rovers and the ATV’s and a 3-hour EVA. It all went awesome! But I didn’t have time to make the repairs I wanted to make on the GH. However, I did repair the GH door that I discovered was a bit lose.
During the last hours of Sol 4, I finished the preparations for my project. Half of the seeds remain at the GH; the other half is in the growing chamber that's on the Lab. For all the experiment I’m using less than a liter of distillated water per day.
The project wants to prove that Peruvian native crops can, indeed, germinate and grow on Mars soil. I’m working with quinoa, amaranthus and mustard (as a control).
I’ll attach you a picture of the pots!
As I’m aiming every Sol, tomorrow I’m going to rearrange all the GH, because it’s a mess. I’ll let you know how that worked.
Support/supplies needed: none