Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 508 articles | 668 uploads | 134 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- NASA’s Lincoln penny on Mars shows how hard the wind blows (Dec 10)
- NASA InSight Lander ‘Hears’ Martian Winds (Dec 07)
- Meteorites from Mars Suffer a Velocity Boost Due to Material Pileup (Dec 06)
- NASA InSight Lander’s New Home on Mars ‘a Large Sandbox’ (Dec 05)
- Five planned missions to Mars (Dec 04)
- Bothell company’s explosives made sure Mars craft had a soft landing (Nov 30)
- Opinion: Mars Beckons (Nov 29)
- SpaceBok robotic hopper being tested at ESA’s Mars Yard (Nov 28)
- InSight Is Catching Rays on Mars (Nov 27)
- Landing Day for InSight (Nov 26)
- Mars moon got its grooves from rolling stones, study suggests (Nov 22)
- Mars getting first US visitor in years, a 3-legged geologist (Nov 20)
- Mars Researcher Takes A Journey To The Red Planet — Through Her Family Tree (Nov 16)
- NASA Brings Mars Landing, First in Six Years, to Viewers Everywhere November 26, 2018 (Nov 14)
- Storm that silenced Mars Opportunity rover has finally settled (Nov 13)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.