Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 490 articles | 542 uploads | 112 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- Science says waste beer could help us live on Mars (Aug 17)
- Op/Ed: From mosques on Mars to meeting Martians: the dilemmas awaiting Muslims in space (Aug 16)
- California Central Coast photographer captures Mars reflecting off the Pacific Ocean (Aug 10)
- Report: NASA Needs to Get Moving on Its Plan to Snatch Some Mars Dust (Aug 09)
- Aerojet Rocketdyne Delivers Power Generator for Mars 2020 Rover (Aug 08)
- Five things you need to do to build a home on Mars (Aug 07)
- SpaceX organizes inaugural conference to plan landings on Mars (Aug 06)
- Senators seek focus on Mars in NASA’s exploration plans (Aug 03)
- AeroVironment draws on high-altitude drone development to help make a helicopter for Mars (Aug 01)
- Mars Is At Its Closest to Earth Since 2003 Today! It Won’t Be Closer Until 2287 (Jul 31)
- One Woman’s Math Could Help NASA Put People on Mars (Jul 30)
- Top Five Teams Win a Share of $100,000 in Virtual Modeling Stage of NASA’s 3D-Printed Mars Habitat Competition (Jul 30)
- Lunar eclipse: How to watch the blood moon and Mars this Friday (Jul 27)
- Putting Boots on Mars Requires a Long-Term Commitment, Experts Tell Senators (Jul 26)
- Mars Express Detects Liquid Water Hidden Under Planet’s South Pole (Jul 25)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Aug 7, 2018 - A presentation on Marspedia's recent history and future plans will be given by James Burk at the 2018 Mars Society Convention, and later posted to Youtube.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.