Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 489 articles | 532 uploads | 110 registered contributors | 8 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- BWX Technologies to develop nuclear engine for Mars ship in Alabama (Jun 22)
- Curiosity Rover Stays Busy as Dust Storm Rages on Mars, Snaps Selfie (Jun 19)
- Pushing the limit: could cyanobacteria terraform Mars? (Jun 18)
- Mars to Shine Brighter This Summer Than It Has in 15 Years (Jun 14)
- Enormous Dust Storm On Mars Threatens The Opportunity Rover (Jun 13)
- Curiosity Rover Finds 3.5-Billion-Year-Old Organic Compounds and Strange Methane on Mars (Jun 07)
- After More Than a Year, Mars Curiosity’s Labs Are Back in Action (Jun 05)
- Elon Musk Responds to Boeing CEO’s Plan to Get to Mars First (Jun 01)
- Singer Tara Macri Drops ‘Meet Me on Mars’ (May 31)
- Flying in Martian Skies: NASA’s 2020 Rover Mission Will Include Tiny Helicopter (May 31)
- Europe’s Trace Gas Orbiter sends its first color picture of Mars – and it’s spectacular (Apr 26)
- SpaceX to Build its Massive Mars Rocket in Los Angeles (Apr 17)
- ‘Kilopower’ Could Power a Mars Colony and Deep Space Missions (Apr 13)
- Inside The Cleanroom Where NASA’s New Mars Lander Waits to Launch (Apr 12)
- NASA’s Curiosity Rover Enjoys Its 2000th Day On Mars (Mar 27)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.