Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 496 articles | 555 uploads | 121 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- Ancient Mars Had Right Conditions For Underground Life, New Research Suggests (Sep 24)
- Elon Musk reveals updated design for future SpaceX Mars rocket (Sep 18)
- Resource Utilization On Mars Could Be The Model Of Efficiency And Sustainability (Sep 17)
- How Will Police Solve Murders on Mars? (Sep 14)
- NASA tests foldable heat shield that could help human Mars landing (Sep 13)
- This imaginative drawing liked by Elon Musk reveals just how crazy SpaceX’s first missions to Mars will be (Sep 12)
- Interplanetary Memorial to Victims of September 11, 2001 (Sep 11)
- Marsception 2018 Architecture Design Competition Winners Announced (Sep 10)
- British scientists launch daring space mission to bring back samples of Martian soil (Sep 07)
- Communications Infrastructure On Mars Could Be The Envy Of Earth (Sep 06)
- The scoop on how mouse poop might get humans to Mars (Sep 05)
- New NASA Competition Aims to Convert Carbon Dioxide into Exploration Sweet Success (Sep 04)
- Synthetic biology solutions for Mars colonization (Aug 27)
- Timely Debate on Lunar Orbit Platform-Gateway at Mars Society Convention (Aug 23)
- Robert Zubrin wants to establish a ‘new branch of human civilization’ on Mars (Aug 22)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.