Marspedia:Editorial

From Marspedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee Meetings & Info

The Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee is chartered by the Marspedia Governing Council to improve and maintain the wiki though a group of volunteer content editors and authors.

Next Weekly Meeting

Our next weekly meeting will be Monday, December 4th at a 4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific.

Join the Meeting or use this dial-in information: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 - Meeting ID: 652 222 875 - International Numbers.


Previous Meetings / Minutes

Friday 11/17/2017

We had a quick meeting on this day and no minutes were taken as attendance was low. We remarked that having a business meeting on Friday late-afternoon/evening is probably a bad time for most.

We talked about continuing to add to the Needed Articles using the Marspedia:Topic List and also improving the Teachers Start Here page.


Wednesday 11/8/2017

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • James & Susan: contact designers for a new logo.
  • James: Post Nicole's articles to wiki but do not link up with home page / teacher's page.
  • Nicole: Edit articles.
  • Bruce: dig up & send whitepapers with Mars settlement concepts.
  • Everybody: Continue to add to Needed Articles page.


Thursday 11/2/2017

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • James: Follow up with Nicole on writing versions of her articles for K-12 and the Teacher's Page.
  • Everybody: Review the Topic List and add needed articles to the Needed Articles page, based on what is in the Topic List.
  • Bruce: dig up & send whitepapers with Mars settlement concepts.
  • Bruce & Kerri: work together on transforming existing Powerpoints into content that can be used.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: Revise the Wikipedia Import article so we can start doing this process to build out the content.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: Create tag templates for different audiences (?) or come up with a way to tag content clearly for which audience it's for.


Thursday 10/26/2017

Full Meeting Minutes

Action Items

  • James Burk to meet with Nicole (& record call) to get her approval for Marspedia to publish her content with a specific content license, including attribution preservation.
  • Add a disclaimer section that our choice of licensing for content doesn't apply to the other wikis.
  • Add more needed articles to Needed Articles page and prioritize it.
  • Create a list of topics that we want to cover on Marspedia, and use that to add more to Needed Articles.
  • Create a teacher landing page with links to key articles and a call to action for teachers to write for us.
  • Set up an editorial calendar, and allow volunteer editors to sign up for shifts - James Burk to set up & manage this.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: clean up tag templates so that there is a clear set that can be used for tagging articles as needing various things.
  • Referred to Technical Subcommittee: update the Mediawiki skin used from current Monobook to newer Vector (or a custom version of Vector). This is a prerequisite for updating the home page.

Slack

We have set up a Slack (which is a chat tool similar to IRC or instant messaging) to coordinate the activities of the Editorial Subcommittee.

Here is the invite to Join our Slack.

Editorial Shift Calendar

Recently we decided to move to a “first come first serve” editorial approach instead of doing shifts... but we may move back to this in the future.


We have a Google Calendar we are using to monitor the wiki and to ensure there is always an editor "on call" to review new submissions. Here is a Read-Only View of the Editorial Calendar. To add events, you have to be invited to the calendar and visit the Google Calendar application. Email James Burk for an invite.

Email List

We can be reached using the email list marspedia-editorial.gp@marssociety.org. You can join the list by visiting this link.

Our Marching Orders from the Council (Oct 2017)

We need to determine what content is needed on the wiki, the process for assigning out & approving new content, and how the editorial committee can keep momentum, either through regular weekly working sessions or some of type of Slack-like tool.  It would be great to redesign the home page as well to add some graphics and make it easy for new volunteers to plug in quickly.