Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
- With Mars Methane Mystery Unsolved, Curiosity Serves Scientists a New One: Oxygen (Nov 12)
- China Unveils Plan To Send Astronauts To Mars (Nov 08)
- A Light Touch Required for NASA’s Mars 2020 Rover (Nov 05)
- The self-hammering probe on NASA’s Mars lander can’t seem to actually dig into the ground (Oct 31)
- SpaceX ‘excited’ about building moon bases and Mars cities at the same time (Oct 23)
- NASA demos spacesuits for its Moon and Mars missions (Oct 16)
- Op/Ed : I’m Convinced We Found Evidence of Life on Mars in the 1970s (Oct 15)
- Inside NASA’s plan to use Martian dirt to build houses on Mars (Oct 14)
- NASA’s New Spacesuit: The xEMU (Oct 10)
- Small satellite launcher Virgin Orbit announces plans to send tiny vehicles to Mars (Oct 09)
- Curiosity rover finds an ancient oasis on Mars (Oct 09)
- An Indian orbiter reached Mars five years ago, and it’s still ticking (Oct 04)
- NASA Announces New Tipping Point Partnerships for Moon and Mars Technologies (Oct 01)
- The rocket Elon Musk wants to send to Mars is almost ready to launch (Sep 30)
- Getting mac and cheese to Mars (Sep 27)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Mar 5, 2019 - The New Category Hierarchy and our custom Category Selection Tool (part of the MediaWiki Visual Editor) have now been rolled out to Marspedia.
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.
Marspedia is organized as a Specific Hierarchy of Categories
The Editorial Subcommittee examined the past ad hoc approach of categorization of Marspedia articles and found it to be lacking a structure of how information about Mars is displayed and searched. The Subcommittee wanted a logical and navigable hierarchy of categories. This would also form the core of a new Browse experience. The new Marspedia category tree is much more focused on the future and specifically expanded on aspects of the future human exploration and permanent settlement of the Red Planet. It also focuses on outreach (advocacy) and the arts and literature to encourage individuals and the public at large to support human exploration and settlement there. Finally Marspedia is focused on providing the best source of information about past, present, and future exploration and settlement of Mars.
All categories for Marspedia roll up into the following 6 top-level categories. Two lower tiers of categories and pages linked to them can be seen by clicking the link icon on each. Creators of new pages should only link one or more of the categories in the hierarchy shown below to their page.
- I. Mars Planetary Science - physical description of the planet; all the science data that is collected
- II. Mars Spacecraft/Robotic Missions - (non-human) - mission planning and execution history.
- III. Mars Human Exploration - human exploration concepts and planning
- IV. Mars Human Settlement - including plans & concepts, philosophical/ethical considerations, and mars analogue research
- V. Mars Outreach - Advocacy for Mars Exploration/Settlement - people and organizations (Mars Society, Marspedia, etc), political action, and public outreach & education
- VI. Mars Arts and Literature - Mars in literature, music, movies, plays, graphic arts, photography