Birth date: June 20, 1949
Birth place: Youngstown, Ohio, U.S.
Residence: Lexington, Kentucky, U.S.
Fields: Creative writing, Science fiction
Alma mater: University of California, Davis; Chapman University
Known for: Hard science fiction writing
Leslie Douglas Turnbull (born June 20, 1949), is a professional writer, author, radio personality, educator, and amateur astronomer. Turnbull designs and builds telescopes with a sophisticated equatorial mount and clock drive. He is best known as an author of hard science fiction. Subjects discussed in his books include astronomy, planetary science, history, and rocketry.
On his radio show Mars Pirate Radio, Turnbull interviewed prominent individuals including Robert Zubrin, Brendan DuBois, Shannon Bohle, Joaquin De La Torre, Jonathan Clarke, Susan Holden Martin, Madeline Ashby, Earl P. Dean, Rand Simberg, Rick Kwan, and Andrew J. Cole.
His writings and radio show are based on on the theme of space exploration, particularly manned missions to Mars, appealing to readers of science, hard science fiction, and fantasy and fiction. They are geared toward the young adult and adult book and radio markets.
Early life and background
Doug Turnbull was born to Leslie Caldwell Turnbull (1917-2002) and Ruth (Delauter) Turnbull (1919-2007) of Ohio. His educational background includes a degree in English from the University of California, Davis and an earned a subsequent teaching credential from Chapman University.
Turnbull is the fourth cousin, four times removed, of William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody (February 26, 1846 – January 10, 1917), a soldier during the American Civil War who won the Medal of Honor and became famous for his Wild West Show. His grandfather's uncle was Coulson Turnbull, PhD, an astrologer and prolific esoteric and occultist author of more than 25 books, many of which are still in print. Some of his titles included: Life and Teachings of Giordano Bruno, Philosopher, Martyr, Mystic, 1548-1600 (1913)  as well as "The Character Of The Planets" in Divine Language of Celestial Correspondences. Coulson Turnbull was on the board of directors of the infamous Brother 12 commune set up near Vancouver, but redeemed himself by exposing the founder of the colony as a fraud and a swindler. Dr. Rosa Caldwell (1872-1947) was his grandfather's mother. She was one of the few women medical doctors of her time and fought to introduce sanitary procedures into the field, such as washing hands during child delivery and to help prevent bacterial infections such as 'child bed fever.'
- The Man Who Conquered Mars. Dog Ear Publishing, 2010. ISBN 1608446468
- Jupiter IV. Dog Ear Publishing, 2011. ISBN 1457506416
- Footprints in Red. CreateSpace, 2012. ISBN 1479173428
- Titus Andronicus Scott. CreateSpace, 2012.
- Ribbon to the Sky
- "Pathfinder: Mission to Mars", 2012.
- "A Wondrous Gift", 2012.
- "Tribute", 2012.
- "Colonial Scout", 2012.
- Mars Society
- Planetary Society
- Ohio Historical Society
- Madison County Historical Society of Kentucky
- Madison County Civil War Roundtable (Kentucky)
- The Equatorial Mount. Accessed 13 July 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRVpaSdpbhY.
- "Robert Zubrin Discusses Challenges to Humans-to-Mars on 'Mars Pirate Radio'." The Mars Society. 29 June 2013. Accessed 13 July 2013. http://www.marssociety.org/home/press/announcements/page-7
- Genealogical and Historical Review of the the International Cody Family Association 38:1 June 2005. Retrieved 13 July 2013. http://www.cody-family.org/review/reviewv38n1.pdf.
- The Man Who Conquered Mars Library of Congress listing
- Jupiter IV Library of Congress listing
- Titus Andronicus Scott Amazon listing
- Pathfinder: Mission to Mars Amazon listing
- A Wondrous Gift Amazon listing
- "Colonial Scout" Amazon listing