(Redirected from Main Page)
Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 498 articles | 589 uploads | 126 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- Chabad on Mars? Pondering Jewish Life in Space (Oct 19)
- VP, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince launch Mars Science City (Oct 18)
- Scientists to Debate Landing Site for Next Mars Rover (Oct 17)
- This speculative SpaceX timeline reveals roughly when, where, and how Elon Musk plans to colonize Mars (Oct 16)
- NASA OIG Forecasts Further Delays, Large Cost Overruns for SLS (Oct 10)
- AI Learns to Guide Planetary Rovers Without GPS (Oct 09)
- MASCOT 2.0? Mars Moon Rover to Fly on Japanese Mission to Phobos in 2024 (Oct 05)
- Learn To Farm On Mars With This Fake Martian Soil (Oct 03)
- National Geographic Presents Season Two of MARS (Oct 02)
- NASA Unveils Sustainable Campaign to Return to Moon, on to Mars (Oct 01)
- These pictures show the exact hill NASA’s longest-lived Mars robot may die upon (Sep 27)
- Antarctica Greenhouse Produces Cucumbers, Tomatoes and More in Mars-Like Test (Sep 25)
- Ancient Mars Had Right Conditions For Underground Life, New Research Suggests (Sep 24)
- Elon Musk reveals updated design for future SpaceX Mars rocket (Sep 18)
- Resource Utilization On Mars Could Be The Model Of Efficiency And Sustainability (Sep 17)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.