Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
- For First Time, Majority in U.S. Backs Human Mission to Mars (Jul 19)
- Drinking Red Wine on the Red Planet: Ingredient in Grapes May Protect Against Musculoskeletal Atrophy in Partial Gravity (Jul 19)
- Op/Ed: Young Americans deserve a 21st-century Moonshot to Mars (Jul 17)
- 50 Years After Apollo 11 Moon Landing, NASA Sets Its Sights On Mars (Jul 16)
- Medical care at the final frontier (Jul 12)
- NASA’s Mars Curiosity rover still taking a beating from red planet rocks (Jul 11)
- Landing the Mars 2020 rover: Autopilot will avoid terrain hazards autonomously (Jul 02)
- Earth To Mars In 100 Days? The Power Of Nuclear Rockets (Jul 01)
- Meteors help Martian clouds form (Jun 18)
- NASA’s MRO Snaps ‘Black-And-Blue’ Impact Crater on Mars (Jun 17)
- To Make a Field Guide to Life on Mars, First Head to the Deep Sea (Jun 14)
- NASA’s Mars 2020 Will Blaze a Trail – for Humans (Jun 13)
- Device seeks to brew oxygen on Mars from dangerous salt (Jun 11)
- Can We Prevent Phobos’ Inevitable Demise? (Jun 10)
- Beyond Mars: Our Place in Space (Jun 06)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Mar 5, 2019 - The New Category Hierarchy and our custom Category Selection Tool (part of the MediaWiki Visual Editor) have now been rolled out to Marspedia.
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.
Marspedia is organized as a Specific Hierarchy of Categories
The Editorial Subcommittee examined the past ad hoc approach of categorization of Marspedia articles and found it to be lacking a structure of how information about Mars is displayed and searched. The Subcommittee wanted a logical and navigable hierarchy of categories. This would also form the core of a new Browse experience. The new Marspedia category tree is much more focused on the future and specifically expanded on aspects of the future human exploration and permanent settlement of the Red Planet. It also focuses on outreach (advocacy) and the arts and literature to encourage individuals and the public at large to support human exploration and settlement there. Finally Marspedia is focused on providing the best source of information about past, present, and future exploration and settlement of Mars.
All categories for Marspedia roll up into the following 6 top-level categories. Two lower tiers of categories and pages linked to them can be seen by clicking the link icon on each. Creators of new pages should only link one or more of the categories in the hierarchy shown below to their page.
- I. Mars Planetary Science - physical description of the planet; all the science data that is collected
- II. Mars Spacecraft/Robotic Missions - (non-human) - mission planning and execution history.
- III. Mars Human Exploration - human exploration concepts and planning
- IV. Mars Human Settlement - including plans & concepts, philosophical/ethical considerations, and mars analogue research
- V. Mars Outreach - Advocacy for Mars Exploration/Settlement - people and organizations (Mars Society, Marspedia, etc), political action, and public outreach & education
- VI. Mars Arts and Literature - Mars in literature, music, movies, plays, graphic arts, photography