Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
- Comet Inspires Chemistry for Making Breathable Oxygen on Mars (May 24)
- Scientists gear up to look for fossils on Mars (May 23)
- NASA Invites Public to Submit Names to Fly Aboard Next Mars Rover (May 22)
- Babies born on Mars could diverge from Earthlings within a couple of generations (May 21)
- NASA’s MRO Completes 60,000 Trips Around Mars (May 17)
- A New Idea for Putting Out Fires in Space: The Vacuum Cleaner? (May 15)
- Humans to Mars Summit 2019 Launches in D.C. This Week: Watch It Live! (May 14)
- White House wants $1.6 billion extra for NASA to accelerate astronaut return to the Moon (May 13)
- New water cycle on Mars discovered (May 09)
- ‘Twilight Zone’: DeWanda Wise on the Greek Tragedy of Her Mission to Mars [spoilers] (May 07)
- Dust storms may have stolen all of Mars’ water (May 06)
- Mars City: If You’re Rich Enough to Go, You Probably Want to Stay on Earth (May 03)
- Op/Ed: Buzz Aldrin: It’s time to focus on the great migration of humankind to Mars (May 02)
- SpaceX’s Elon Musk shows off a shiny Starship in landscapes of the Moon and Mars (Apr 29)
- Dartmouth’s Mars Greenhouse Wins 2019 NASA BIG Idea Challenge (Apr 25)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Mar 5, 2019 - The New Category Hierarchy and our custom Category Selection Tool (part of the MediaWiki Visual Editor) have now been rolled out to Marspedia.
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.
All categories for Marspedia roll up into the following 6 top-level categories. Two lower tiers of categories and pages linked to them can be seen by clicking the link icon on each. Creators of new pages should only link one or more of the categories in the hierarchy shown below to their page.
- I. Mars Planetary Science - physical description of the planet; all the science data that is collected
- II. Mars Spacecraft/Robotic Missions - (non-human) - mission planning and execution history.
- III. Mars Human Exploration - human exploration concepts and planning
- IV. Mars Human Settlement - including plans & concepts, philosophical/ethical considerations, and mars analogue research
- V. Mars Outreach - Advocacy for Mars Exploration/Settlement - people and organizations (Mars Society, Marspedia, etc), political action, and public outreach & education
- VI. Mars Arts and Literature - Mars in literature, music, movies, plays, graphic arts, photography