Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
- NASA films fascinating SpaceX Falcon 9 reentry, paving way for Mars missions (Mar 22)
- The road to Mars includes a detour through Lakewood, Colorado (Mar 20)
- Minitremors detected on Mars for first time (Mar 19)
- Is the best way to communicate with future astronauts on Mars by texting? (Mar 18)
- Amidst Cuts to NASA, Mars Sample Return May Finally Happen (Mar 14)
- 94-year old Lithium-Ion battery inventor unveils new ultra-efficient glass battery (Mar 13)
- Researchers Report on Simulated Extravehicular Activity Science Operations for Mars Exploration (Mar 08)
- Researchers Outline Goals for Collecting and Studying Samples from Mars (Mar 06)
- Mars InSight’s Rock-Hammer is About Half a Meter Down and Has Already Run into Rocks (Mar 05)
- New Moon/Mars mission in progress at HI-SEAS habitat (Mar 05)
- First Evidence of Planet-Wide Groundwater System On Mars (Feb 28)
- Elon Musk: This Is How We’ll Build a Base on Mars (Feb 25)
- With the best air pressure sensor ever on Mars, scientists find a mystery (Feb 22)
- Artificial intelligence — and a few jokes — will help keep future Mars crews sane (Feb 18)
- Archaeology On Mars – From The Fantastical To The Real (Feb 15)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Mar 5, 2019 - The New Category Hierarchy and our custom Category Selection Tool (part of the MediaWiki Visual Editor) have now been rolled out to Marspedia.
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.
All categories for Marspedia roll up into the following 6 top-level categories. Two lower tiers of categories and pages linked to them can be seen by clicking the link icon on each. Creators of new pages should only link one or more of the categories in the hierarchy shown below to their page.
- I. Mars Planetary Science - physical description of the planet; all the science data that is collected
- II. Mars Spacecraft/Robotic Missions - (non-human) - mission planning and execution history.
- III. Mars Human Exploration - human exploration concepts and planning
- IV. Mars Human Settlement - including plans & concepts, philosophical/ethical considerations, and mars analogue research
- V. Mars Outreach - Advocacy for Mars Exploration/Settlement - people and organizations (Mars Society, Marspedia, etc), political action, and public outreach & education
- VI. Mars Arts and Literature - Mars in literature, music, movies, plays, graphic arts, photography