This is my first attempt to bring in a recent Wikipedia article to help build out Marspedia.
My personal opinion (others have disagreed) is that we should leverage the great content on Wikipedia related to Mars to build out Marspedia, at least in the short-term.
For this article, I had to make some decisions, especially related to things that Marspedia/Mediawiki is not configured for:
- Since we don't have pages (yet) for many of the space-related ancillary topics like American Geophysical Union or Bill Nye, I am using the newly added Interwiki syntax to link to Wikipedia for these.
- I've left several Mars-related links pointed to Marspedia, ever though we don't have those articles, because I intend to build those out.
- While we have the Cite extension installed, the <ref> system on Wikipedia uses a bunch of templates we don't have. So I removed all of those for now, for this article.
- Most of the info boxes on Wikipedia don't translate over since we don't have those templates either.
- The links to Youtube had to be manually fixed because we don't have Wikipedia's Youtube template.
Here is the Mars 2020 article on Wikipedia, for reference. You can see there were quite a few things I had to remove.
I will be working to streamline things so that this process is easier for others.