(Redirected from Main Page)
Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 502 articles | 644 uploads | 128 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- NASA Brings Mars Landing, First in Six Years, to Viewers Everywhere November 26, 2018 (Nov 14)
- Storm that silenced Mars Opportunity rover has finally settled (Nov 13)
- Early Days On Mars: A Primer For The Issues First Colonists Would Face (Nov 13)
- The Mars Society Launches $10,000 Prize for Designing the Best Plan For a Mars Colony of 1,000 People (Nov 10)
- This Space Station Air Recycler Could Help Astronauts Breathe Easier on Mars (Nov 07)
- The Mars InSight Landing Site Is Just Plain Perfect (Nov 06)
- Elon Musk thinks he’ll die on Mars (Nov 02)
- The Mars Generation Suits Up (Oct 31)
- How NASA Will Use Robots to Create Rocket Fuel From Martian Soil (Oct 30)
- Third ASPIRE Test Confirms Mars 2020 Parachute a Go (Oct 29)
- Electricity in Martian dust storms helps to form perchlorates (Oct 26)
- Mars Express keeps an eye on curious cloud (Oct 25)
- NASA’s InSight Will Study Mars While Standing Still (Oct 24)
- Mars could have enough molecular oxygen to support life, and scientists figured out where to find it (Oct 23)
- A first look at China’s Mars simulation base out in the Gobi Desert (Oct 22)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.