An automomous colony needs it's own food production. The following reasons apply:
Food that can be brought from Earth
- Several varieties of dehydrated food.
- Natural food that containes large amounts of fat and carbohydrates, such as nuts.
- Concentrated fruit juice.
- Light weight, high energy foods with a long shelf-life.
Local Production Methods
- Vegetable can be grown in greenhouses.
- Proteins, fat and carbohydrates can be produced by a biotechnological factory
- Animals, such as chicken, may be raised in sections of greenhouses. It must be taken into account that the production of 1 kg meat requires 7 to 16 kg of vegetable matter.
- Kate Thompson: What you can do resource (facts and figures about resource consumption for food production)